How do you want to leave your legacy? Some people have shaped history, leaving behind memorable works of art, monuments and landmarks; others have helped to enact lasting political and historical change. By donating a planned gift to the Arthritis Foundation, you too can leave an impact – by providing much-needed support for people living with arthritis, helping us to find a cure and to help families say Yes, day after day.
What is a Planned Gift?
A planned gift is a donation (usually to charities) that occurs at a later date, whether after your death or after the death of your last beneficiary. You and your financial advisor will decide what assets are distributed and how they are gifted. These donations can take place in a variety of forms, including:
- Stocks and bonds
- Real estate
- And retirement assets
What’s more, you can provide your planned gift to the Arthritis Foundation in a number of ways, including bequests, beneficiary designation gifts, charitable gift annuities and more. No matter which type of gift and method of giving you choose, there are a myriad of benefits you can experience after making your donation.
How You Can Benefit from Planned Giving
- Receive Tax Advantages: While each tax benefit differs, depending on the type of gift you’ve given and how you’ve made it, there are significant tax deductions from donating planned gifts that you can appreciate during your lifetime. With real estate, for example, you might be able to deduct the fair market value of the property you donate – or you can maximize the value of your after-tax retirement assets by choosing to gift the remainder of your 401(k) or IRA to us (as the amount that might have gone towards taxes will help us meet our needs!).
- Reduce or Eliminate Probate: Probate can be a lengthy, complicated process – but choosing to donate property now helps you to reduce or eliminate probate later. It’s simple: if you donate it during your lifetime, you won’t own it when you die, meaning it won’t have to go through probate.
- Realign Your Investment Portfolio: Depending on the type of planned gift you donate, you might be able to diversify your investment portfolio or receive an immediate income tax deduction, making planned giving a mutually-beneficial option for both you and the Arthritis Foundation.
- Make a Real Difference: When you contribute a planned gift to the Arthritis Foundation, you’ll help us meet our financial goals, allowing us to continue our journey towards preventing, controlling and curing arthritis and related diseases. You’ll help us improve the lives of those living with arthritis and pave the way for a better tomorrow!
Leave your legacy and help us lead the fight for a better life with arthritis! Contact us to learn how to include the Arthritis Foundation in your estate plans by filling out our short online form, calling 866-528-8687 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Stay tuned for more posts in our planned giving series to learn how to help our mission!
- Contact us to learn more about planned giving.
- So Many Ways to Give: Your Planned Giving Options
- Planned Giving Options: How to Give- Part One
- Planned Giving Options: How to Give- Part Two