If warmer weather has you looking for ways to forget those winter aches and pains, soak in the joy of the season with some of these activities.
- Join a team. Whether it’s softball or bocci, sign up for a sports league. Not only will it get you moving, but studies show that playing on a team boosts your happiness and self-esteem.
- Arrange a bouquet. Fresh flowers can put an instant smile on your face and arranging them exercises your hands and creativity.
- Try geocaching. This outdoor treasure hunt is fun alone or with friends as you use GPS coordinates and clues to look for hidden containers. Visit geocaching.com to get started.
- Take a walk in the woods. Immersing yourself in nature has been shown to lift moods and lower blood pressure. Turn off your phone and tune into the sights, smells and sounds of nature.
- Do some spring cleaning. Clearing clutter can raise your spirits and reduce your stress. Cull your wardrobe and donate what you no longer wear to people who will use and value them, which may give you another boost of satisfaction.
- Try something new at a farmer’s market. Choose an unfamiliar fruit or vegetable, such as kohlrabi or a different mushroom variety, and try a new recipe with your find.
- Practice yoga or tai chi outside. When the weather warms up, many studios and centers offer fresh-air classes. Or roll out your mat in your own backyard.
- Fly a kite. Remember enjoying this when you were a kid? One study found that nostalgic activities can help brighten your outlook.
- Arthritis-friendly Yoga Videos
- Use Goal Setting to Motivate Your Arthritis Workout
- Change the Way You Walk to Ease Knee Pain with Osteoarthritis